Wednesday 2 December 2015

CRITICAL REFLECTION OF PEER AND TUTOR FEEDBACK

The role of feedback are important for improving a person’s essay, presentation skills or even a person’s personality. Giving concise feedback to the person can help him in many ways like listing down his strengths and weaknesses and where the person mistakes are.

When I first came to know about the communication course in polytechnic all I know was that my English had to be good because I know that this type of course require me to write and speak fluently. I am not a natural born speaker who can speak well in front of an audience. This type of course improves my ability to speak confidently in class. I started giving evaluation in polytechnic to my peers and at the same time receiving feedback from them. At first, I did not take seriously about the feedback given to me because I felt that it is only a person’s opinion. However, as I kept reading the feedback and taking them into consideration, I found myself improving as a person and as a student in the course as well. Feedback can be encouraging, it can be hurtful, but they both work the same way. Feedback are opinions of the evaluators and it may be useful to the person depending on how he/she responds to feedback.

In polytechnic, the feedback were not so focused on improving oneself but more focused on pointing out the strength and weaknesses of the person. Now in university, creating the blog and setting up groups help all of us understand the need for effective communication. The blog is like a new hobby to me because ever since I created the blog and posted my first post, I frequently will go online to see if anybody commented on my blog. The comments are interesting and I take them very seriously. It is to improve my quality of the essay that I have written because I know my English is not strong. I feel that I do not want to let my peers and tutor down because they took so much time to read through my blog and give feedback on the areas I should improve on. Likewise, I will do the same for them. The comments made helped each other learn from the mistakes that we have made.


I believe feedback can help improve my writing and also improving on my interview skills. I feel that feedback should be given not only during communication classes but in every other lessons as well. It may be hard for some to give critical feedback to the person to avoid any conflicts but people will feel more comfortable when they see feedback.  It’s like telling the person straight into his/her face about their problems but in a nicer way. For me, I will feel encourage to do better and not let anybody down. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Benjamin, glad to hear of how peer evaluation is motivating you for self improvement. Just a few points to take note of in your writing:
    - Decide on the tone for your post and be consistent, whether it is formal or informal.
    - Be consistent in your font size. It was probably because of the formatting, but some of the words in your post is of a smaller size.
    - Sentence structures and common grammar mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this reflection, Benjamin. I appreciate your effort. I have t admit though that It seems more like a general rumination on your view of feedback, from your poly days until this term. The assignment is a bit more specific, asking you to explain what you did this term in the way of giving and receiving feedback, describing how this process made you feel, and asking you to project how this might impact your skills development in the future. (Remember the four circles on the feedback process spelled out on the unit on feedback?)

    In any case, I can see that you do value feedback. How might you seek such feedback from eery in the future?

    In any case, I hope this term has been beneficial of you. All the best for your future here at SIT and beyond!

    ReplyDelete