Thursday 10 September 2015

The Importance of English for Me

English may not be the most spoken language in the world but it is the official language in many countries today. English is important as we can communicate with one another easily without any language barrier. Dominant countries like the USA, UK uses English as their core language. When doing businesses overseas, the main language that will be used is English because it is a necessity for English to use in a global workforce. I can communicate with approximately 1 billion people with English! Based on an article I read, English is important in Science. It is also fairly easier to learn fast compared to other languages like Tamil, Chinese etc. 

I find that English can help me better communicate with other people effectively. When I notice that there is a language barrier between me and the person I am talking to, I will always use English to communicate. Most of the time, they will understand what I am trying to say. Which is why I find that English is beneficial for us to make our lives much more easier. With the amount of 'slangs' I used in a sentence, that is why I am still constantly learning and better my English to improve myself in speaking especially in public speaking. There is so much we can do with English with tons of vocabularies to use. 

Knowing that English is important, I always read articles and books to improve my vocabulary and improve myself as a person also. My learning journey in English will never end.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Benjamin, for this well articulated initial post. You do a good job contextualizing the importance of English for you. There is little argument about the place of this language on the world stage. What I would like to see more of though in this short essay is how English may be of importance specifically to your current studies and your future career. What is impressive to note in your description is that whatever that future situation might be, you are certainly taking steps to improve.

    Toward that end, here are some areas of language use that you should reconsider:
    1) Dominant countries like the USA, UK uses …. >>> Dominant countries like the USA and the UK use….
    2) When doing businesses overseas, the main language that will be used is English … >>> Who is doing business overseas? That important 'subject' needs to act and be mentioned as the subject of this sentence.
    3) ...it is a necessity for English to use… >>> (verb form problem)
    4) There is so much we can do with English with tons of vocabularies to use. >>>
    (use of idiomatic expression)

    Let's talk about these.

    I look forward to working with you this term.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Benjamin, for sharing your thoughts through this post. In the post you explored about the importance of english on a world scale, and on personal scale you related it to your past experience.

    In your post you mentioned that "Based on an article I read, English is important in Science." >>>> maybe you can give a slight explanation on the relevance of English in Science instead of jumping to the next point?

    As for "It is also fairly easier to learn fast compared to other languages like Tamil, Chinese etc. " >>>> maybe you can reconsider writing it as "It is fairly easier to learn as compared to other languages like Tamil, Chinese etc." Which would have a beter flow

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in total agreement with the statement that English has helped us to improve our means of communication effectively. In addition, the interesting fact that you had include that we can communicate with 1 Billion people makes me so grateful having learnt this language.

    Perhaps you could elaborate on the part where English is important in Science. I believe we have a similar goal on working on this language and I look forward to working with you.

    ReplyDelete